Dogs at Compton Verney
We know that for many of our visitors their dogs are part of the family, and with 120 acres of parkland, many of you would love to bring your dogs to explore Compton Verney with you.
During June, whilst filming of the BBC’s Antiques Roadshow in 2019, dogs were allowed on site and we were impressed by how respectful their owners were; Compton Verney has an abundance of wildlife and a range of visitors of all ages and backgrounds, we are keen to ensure that we are truly a place for everyone. We are also aware that many people have a dog, and would love to walk their pet in the grounds.
With this in mind, well behaved dogs will be welcomed to Compton Verney to the grounds. Assistance dogs will be permitted both inside the House and Galleries.
As custodians of a range of significant habitats, there are some areas that dog walkers will have limited access to, so that we continue to encourage biodiversity and protect the landscape and environment.
We also know that some of our visitors may be wary of dogs, and we want to ensure that everyone feels welcome and safe when they visit. For these reasons, we’ve put together a well behaved Dog Walking Code.
We know that everyone is keen to have a wonderful experience when visiting Compton Verney, and we want to share this amazing venue with everyone, this means that we need responsible dog owners at all times. Help us to welcome visitors and dogs to the site and report any inappropriate behaviour to our team. We do reserve the right to refuse entry, or to ask dogs and owners behaving inconsiderately or dangerously to leave without refund.
We are delighted that we have found new ways for you to enjoy Compton Verney and very much look forward to welcoming you and your pets to the site.
Dog Walkers’ Code of Conduct
- Well-behaved dogs are welcome on short leads. Longer leads can be used in the Old Town Meadow, but please be conscious of the wildlife, particularly around the lakeside.
- Please don’t let your dog swim in the lake for their health, and so as not to disturb wildlife.
- We have a map outlining where you can walk your dog. Out of respect for other visitors, please do not bring your dog into the Forest School, Playground or Sandpit areas, and avoid the Ice House Coppice it is a protected wildlife habitat area.
- Only assistance dogs are allowed in the House and Galleries, due to the fragile nature of the items on display, and for the enjoyment of other visitors.
- Only assistance dogs are permitted on our shuttle bus from the car park to the main house.
- Please do not leave your dog in your car at any time. If a dog is left in a car and appears distressed we will inform the relevant authorities.
- There are posts where dogs can be left outside at the rear of the House for short trips to the café, shop or toilets.
- If you want to visit the Galleries and Exhibitions, please come back another time and leave your dog to snooze at home.
- Please pick up after your dog and carry waste bags with you until you see a dog waste bin.
- Dog drinking stations are available near the Welcome Centre and at the rear of the House. Please ask a member of staff if you have difficulty locating them, or they need topping up.
- For the enjoyment of all we prefer that you only have one dog per person, but will allow a maximum of two.