The privacy notice applies to information we collect about:
• Visitors to our digital channels (e.g. website)
• People who use and support our services
The notice provides information on:
• How we use your personal information
• Your rights to access and correct the information we hold about you
• How to contact us for queries or complaints about our use of your personal information, and to unsubscribe from marketing communications
Information about us
For the purpose of the General Data Protection Act 2018 (“the Act”), we are a data controller. Our data protection registration number is ZA033068.
Information we may collect from you
Information you give to us.
This is information about you that you give to us by entering information via our website, our social media pages or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you complete a purchase, become an annual pass holder or member, enter a competition or complete a survey, for example. The information you give us may include your name, address, contact details (such as email address and phone number), enquiry details, opinions you share with us and, in some instances, financial and credit card information including Gift Aid eligibility.
Information we collect about you.
With regard to each of your visits to the Site we may automatically collect the following information to carry out legitimate business interests, for example to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site, to compile statistical reports on website activity and to personalise our visitors’ experiences of using the site:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform
- Information about your website visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from the Site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
We collect some of this information on our website by using cookies. This helps us to distinguish you from other users, and to improve its functionality to provide you with a good experience. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them, see our Cookies Policy.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
The main purposes for which we collect and process the details of customers, visitors, members, service users, enquirers, donors and potential donors are:
- to provide the service, goods or information that they have requested
- for administration purposes e.g. to manage donations
- to further our charitable aims, including fundraising activities
- to gather feedback to monitor service levels and/or improve performance, products and services
Where you have provided CONSENT
We may use your data to contact you by post, email, phone and/or SMS with news and information about Compton Verney that we feel may be of interest to you, such as research, education and fundraising, and about our other events, activities, products and services.
We will not use your personal information for such marketing purposes if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted. When you subscribe to our services or give consent to receiving news and information from us, you can cancel your subscription, withdraw your consent to being contacted or change your preferred method of contact at any time. Subscribing for email newsletters and other marketing communications is optional.
Where there is a LEGITIMATE INTEREST
We may also hold, store, process or analyse your data in order to continue to improve our understanding of our target audiences and of our supporters. This is with a view to providing world class, transformative, visitor-focused experiences, customer service and educational engagement, and to look at ways in which we might in the future use the latest technologies to improve and personalise the services that we offer. As part of this, we may use personal information for the following purposes:
- For analysis and profiling, to inform our marketing strategy, and to enhance and personalise your customer or visitor experience
- For market research in order to continually improve the products and services that we deliver
- To administer our websites and for internal operations, including troubleshooting and testing
- For marketing activities (other than where we rely on your consent) e.g. to tailor marketing communications or send targeted messages via social media
- For the prevention of fraud and other criminal activities
- To comply with a request from you in connection with the exercise of your rights (for example where you have asked us not to contact you for marketing purposes, we will keep a record of this on our suppression lists in order to be able to comply with your request)
- For general administration including managing your queries, complaints, or claims, and to send service messages to you.
- For complying with any requirements regarding service provision, business needs, auditing and accounting, for the purposes of seeking legal advice, for complying with public sector and charity requirements, and for customer services requirements.
Where required to comply with our LEGAL OBLIGATIONS
We will use your personal information to comply with our legal obligations including: (i) to enable us to carry out any contractual or statutory obligations; (ii) assist HMRC, the Police, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or any other public authority or criminal investigation body; (iii) to identify you when you contact us; and (iv) to verify the accuracy of data that we hold about you.
Where it is in your VITAL INTEREST
We may use your personal information to contact you if there are any urgent notices to communicate to you.
DISCLOSURE AND CONFIDENTIALITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
We will not share personal data with third party organisations for marketing purposes, but may occasionally outsource functions when we do not have the in-house capacity required, such as the use of a mailing house for mailings, and analytical services that enable us to target our communications with customers and supporters more effectively. In such cases we will only use reputable and well vetted firms and have contracts and processes in place that ensure the safe and confidential processing of personal data at all times.
We may also disclose personal information where required to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions or to protect our rights, property, or safety or those of any third party. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
We will always ensure an adequate level of protection is provided for personal information transferred outside the European Economic Area.
RETENTION AND STORAGE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
We will retain your personal details for as long as you are an active customer. Your personal details will be deleted after 6 years since your last interaction with the organisation.
We have procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify affected data subjects and the supervisory authority of any personal data breach in accordance with applicable laws.
ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION AND CORRECTION
We strive at all times to ensure that your personal information is accurate and up to date. Please help us do so by notifying us of any changes to your personal or contact information using the contact details below. You may opt out from receiving marketing communications from us at any time, change your contact preferences or ask to have your personal data removed.
Under the terms of the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of information that we hold about you, by making a Subject Access Request. If you would like a copy of some or all of your information you may make a request by writing to our Information Compliance Officer. Any access request may be subject to a fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Information Compliance Officer
We hope that we will be able to address any of your requests. However, you have the right to make a complaint about the processing of your personal data to the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We keep our privacy notice under regular review. You are advised to visit this page periodically in order to keep up to date with any changes. By continuing to use our services you will be deemed to have accepted such changes.
This privacy notice was last updated on 24 May 2018.